Sunday, May 23, 2010

Getting the Camera Focused

Worry no longer my friends! I have escaped the beautiful wilderness that kept me from electronic communications with the common world. For once, I have a good reason to have taken so long to write: a brilliant week backpacking through the Grand Canyon.

As I mentioned previously, and as I obscurely state in the title, I shall be discussing the realignment of my project. But first, let us journey back to the original plan with a quick summary:
'I aim to flesh out and provide structure to my knowledge of sustainability, as well as possible careers in sustainability. And finally, the more self interested focus: what next for me? How can I join the sustainability movement? Grad school? A move towards a career? A new exploration?'
- (from my very first post)

In March, one of the great sources of wisdom in my life, my Mom, visited the high mountains, and an unfortunate bout of altitude sickness prompted a day of conversation. At that time, I hadn't written anything for a couple months, and felt like a shipwrecked sailor. Our conversation reminded me of the projects long term purpose, making some decision about a career direction, and with that in mind, helped me determine some concrete short term goals to get the wind back in my sails.

So without further narrations, here's the new plan:
Long-Term Goal: make decision about career direction

In my years of adventure, this year being the first in three to five, investigate the following five potential directions:
  1. Municipal Planning - building sustainability into a community
  2. Artist - sculpture; making a statement with art
  3. Design - focused on Sustainable Design
  4. Engineering - environmental engineering, alternative fuels
  5. Policy - environmental policy and its ability to generate change
To make a successful year in Breckenridge, at least in the context of my project, I'll focus on how groups build a sustainable community, from both a governmental standpoint and a non-profit standpoint (potential direction#1). So current short term goals are setting up interviews with a friend of mine in the Breckenridge Planning Department and contacting the High Country Conservation Center.

And intermingled with notes from the focused study will remain blogs of spontaneity, when pondering the world overwhelms me, and I'm too inspired to stop myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment